SHARE MY RECIPES
Green Tomato Tarte Tatin
GREEN TOMATO TARTE TATIN
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
This is the most sensational and delicious dish and a great way to use up green tomatoes, although Tarte Tatin can also be made with firm red or yellow tomatoes. It is worth using al the garnishes recommended and the flavour is fabulous and looks great.
It is essential to include all the dressings and garnish as this turns the dish into something really special.
This is a GUEST RECIPE and was inspired by Gary Rhodes some years ago and still a great favourite.
320g read to roll puff pastry
Plenty of firm tomatoes, halved
2-3 shallots, finely sliced
1-2 tsp light brown sugar
Dressings and Garnish
4 tbs olive oil
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper.
Small carton of Natural Yoghurt or Sour Cream
Quarter of a lime for each serving
Few fresh basil leaves, torn
Half a small red onion, very finely sliced
Fresh Parmesan Shavings
Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
AND THIS IS WHAT YOU DO......
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
2. Roll out the pastry thinly on a floured board.
3. Use a rectagular roasting tray or an oven proof frying pan and add a little olive oil.
4. Now chop the tomatoes in half and place cut side down, (sprinkle shallot rings, if using) closely in the oil and season. Start to fry and as soon as the tomatoes are bubbling in the oil, add a sprinkling of sugar (be careful not to add too much) and some knobs of butter on top of the tomatoes.
5. Shake the pan gently to make sure the tomatoes are covered in the juices and are beginning to caremelise then take the pan off the heat.
6. Now carefully lay the pastry on top of the pan and tuck the sides well in to stop the juices escaping and place into the oven for about 15 - 20 minutes.
7. Now turn the pastry upside down onto a serving dish.
8. To serve with the portions of the Tarte Tatin, mix the oil and vinegar with seasoning and you can add a little Dijon mustard to the mix and put into a small servicing dish. In a separate dish, place the sour cream or Yoghurt.
The thinly sliced onion should be served in another small dish and finally the Parmesan shavings and torn Basil to garnish. Finally, Coarse Sea Salt and Freshly Ground black pepper can be added as a final garnish.
9. Serve with new potatoes and either a salad or fresh vegetables of your choice.