SHARE MY RECIPES
Stuffed Yellow Peppers
STUFFED YELLOW PEPPERS
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: c. 30-40 mins at 180C/Gas 5
This makes a very easy lunch or supper and is very tasty.
300g couscous or rice (black, red, wild, for variety or even mixed grain)
I x stock cube
2 x red onions
6 x dried tomatoes
3 dsp capers, drained
6 gherkins, cut into small slices
12-18 black and green olives, stoned and cut in half
3 x tbs tomato purée
100g pine nuts (even better dry roasted in a pan)
50g flaked almonds
50g sunflower seeds
Large handful fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbs dried herbs
Freshly ground black pepper
AND THIS IS WHAT YOU DO .....
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C
2. Take the yellow peppers, with a sharp knife cut a round hole at the top and carefully remove the stalk, white pith and knock the seeds out by tapping the pepper holding it upside down. Now place the peppers into a roasting tray.
3. Meantime, place the couscous into a large mixing bowl and cover generously with boiling water.
4. Crumble in a stock cube and mix with a fork, cover and leave to stand for a few minutes whist the couscous swells and becomes thoroughly moistened.
5. In a separate frying pan, fry the sliced onions, add the dried tomatoes, which should be cut into small pieces with scissors, tomato pureee and herbs. When softened, remove from the heat.
6. Add the onion and tomato mixture to the couscous, together with the capers, gherkins, olives, pine nuts, flaked almonds and sunflower seeds and mix thoroughly. If necessary, add a little more boiling water.
7. Finally add some season and a large handful of fresh chopped parsley.
8. This mixture can now be spooned into each pepper cavity and any left over can be piled around the peppers in the roasting dish.
9. Drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes, or until browned and the peppers should feel soft when poked with a sharp knife.
10. For variety, you can also add dried cranberries or chopped tinned anchovies. Or
how about onion, sliced mushrooms, fresh tomatoes and pine nuts as shown below.