Tropical Fruit Pavlova
TROPICAL FRUIT PAVLOVA
Preparation Time: about 30 mins
Cooking Time: 1 hour and then time to cool completely
This is a wonderful recipe for when one is entertaining and, of course, you can choose different combinations of fruit.
For the meringue
4 egg whites
250g caster sugar
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the topping
1 ripe mango, peeled and cut into small pieces
2 kiwi fruits, peeled and thinly sliced
Seeds and fruit from two ripe passion fruits
200g white currants
3 tbsp icing sugar
350ml double cream
Nasturtium flowers, or any other edible flowers to garnish
AND THIS IS WHAT YOU DO.....
1. Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2.
2. Using a pencil, mark out the circumference of a dinner plate on baking parchment.
3. Whisk the egg whites with a hand mixer until they form stiff peaks, then whisk in the sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until the meringue looks glossy.
4. Whisk in the vinegar, cornflour and vanilla.
5. Spread the meringue inside the circle, creating a crater by making the sides a little higher than the middle.
6. Bake for 1 hr, then turn off the heat and let the Pavlova cool completely inside the oven.
7. When the meringue is cool, you can then start preparing the fruit.
8. Halve the passion fruits and scoop out the fruit which can be spread on top of the cream.
9. Slice the kiwi fruits and peel and chop the mangoes
9. Whip the cream with the remaining icing sugar and spread it over the meringue.
10. Arrange the remaining fruit on top of the cream and passion fruits.
11. Finally, you can garnish with edible flowers for special occasions, or you could lightly dust with icing sugar.