SHARE MY RECIPES
Curried Lentil Soup with Cucumber Raita
CURRIED LENTIL SOUP WITH
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 30 - 40 mins
4 tbs olive oil
A large knob of unsalted butter
4 carrots, peeled and finely sliced
A whole celery, trimmed to remove ends and leaves, then finely sliced
2 leeks, trimmed and finely sliced
1 tsp Garam Masala
6 fat garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
500g (18 oz) red lentils, rinsed
3 tbs lemon juice or lime juice
1.8 litres chicken or vegetable stock
Freshly ground black pepper
Thick natural yoghurt or cucumber raita (or you can use ready made Tzaziki)
Dust with powdered Cumin
AND THIS IS WHAT YOU DO……
1. Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan.
2. Add the carrots, celery and leeks, stir well and replace lid and leave to steam and cook gently for about 15 minutes.
3. Add teh Garam Masala and cloves, stir well and cook for a minute or two.
4. Add the lentils and the stock, stir thoroughly, replace lid and allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes or until cooked until soft.
5. Purée in batches or use a hand held blender until smooth.
6. Adjust seasoning to taste and add the juice of either a lemon or lime and stir thoroughly. If the soup is too thick, you can add a little more stock.
7. Serves with Raita.
Preparation time: 10 mins
1 small tub of thick natural yoghurt
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
Small handful of fresh mint, finely chopped
Half a cucumber, peeled and cut into tiny cubes
AND THIS IS WHAT YOU DO…
1. Scoop the contents of the yoghurt into a glass bowl.
2. Mix in the crushed garlic and chopped mint.
3. Finally, fold in the tiny cubes of cucumber and put into a serving bowl.