top of page
Music, Art & Cookery
SHARE MY RECIPES
Herby Quinoa & Bulgar Wheat Salad
Herby Quinoa,Bulgar Wheat & Pomegranate Salad
Serves 4 - 6
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: Approx 15 mins
I saw this recipe on Mary Berry's recent cookery programme on the BBC, but in fact made something extremely similar last Summer and simply threw in things that I felt would work well with this salad - it looked both attractive and tasted wonderful. I have added in the extra ingredients that I used when I made my own version of this dish. I have discovered in our local Waitrose that you can get packs of mixed grain - we used red and white quinoa with bulgar wheat and you can also get ready cooked sachets of a variety of these mixed grains, which simply require heating up in a microwave - otherwise, if you are using the dried packets, then you simply cook according to the manufacturers instructions.
An easy method to extract seeds from a pomegranate is to cut and or tear into quarters and ease the seeds out in a bowl of cold water, the pith and seeds separate very easily and is less messy.
300g Bulgar Wheat with mixed-colour Quinoa
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, finely sliced
200g sun-blushed tomatoes in oil (drained and cut in half)
Peeled, de-seeded, cubed flesh of one cucumber (optional)
Peeled, cubed flesh of one avocado (optional)
Generous handful chopped mint
Generous handful flat-leaf parsley
Generous handful finely snipped chives
Generous handful basil leaves
150g lightly toasted flaked almonds
150g lightly toasted pistachios
100g feta cheese, broken into pieces (I used a whole pack)
50g pomegranate seeds (optional) or use the seeds from a whole pomegranate.
salt + pepper
1 lemon juiced and zest
2 tbsp pomegranate syrup
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sugar
1. Measure the mixed bulgar wheat and quinoa into a saucepan, pour in 500ml of water and cover with a lid. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes - or according to the packet instructions. Remove from the heat and leave for about 10 minutes or until render and all the liquid has been absorbed. Top into a bowl and allow to cool.
2. To make the dressing, place the lemon juice and zest in a bowl or small jug, add the pomegranate syrup, sugar and olive oil and whisk together.
3. Place the 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan, add the onion and fry over a medium heat for 5-6 minutes. Tip into the bowl with the bulgar wheat and quinoa.
4. Add the sun-blushed tomatoes and herbs, season with salt and pepper and toss together. Pour on the dressing and mix well.
5. Mary Berry suggests making this salad at least two hours in advance to allow the dressing to marinade thoroughly with the grain
6. Add the toasted nuts, and gently stir in the feta and pomegranate seeds, then check the seasoning, adding more salt and pepper to taste. before serving.
bottom of page