Music, Art & Cookery
SHARE MY RECIPES
Smoked Haddock Chowder
SMOKED HADDOCK CHOWDER
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
This has been a hugely successful recipe and even our tiny grandson simply adored this!
A generous knob of butter
1 tbs olive oil
3 rashers of streaky bacon, chopped
1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
1 large leek, sliced fine
2 tbsp plain flour
800ml full cream milk
500g potatoes cut into small cubes
400g smoked skinned haddock fillets (cut into large chunks)
200g frozen sweetcorn
200g frozen peas
Fish stock (cube is fine)
Freshly ground black pepper
A pinch of cayenne pepper (optional for a extra spicey bite!)
Fresh chopped parsley, to serve
AND THIS IS WHAT YOU DO.....
1. Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan.
2. Now add the bacon, then cook until starting to brown.
3. Add the onion, cook for 2-3 mins, then the leek and sweat until soft.
4. Sprinkle over the 2tbp flour and mix through and cook for 1 minute or so.
5. Gradually pour over the milk, stirring like mad to remove any lumps. Add the stock cubes and potatoes. Bring to the boil, then simmer for approx 15-20 mins stirring regularly to avoid it sticking to the bottom of the pan.
6. Add the sweetcorn and peas and, bring back up to heat.
7. Then add the haddock, then leave to gently cook for another 5-10 mins. As it cooks, break it into large chunks.
8. Just before serving, stir in generous amounts of chopped parsley, if using.
9. Serve with plenty of crusty bread.