Beet & Tahini Soup with Pine Nut Za'atar
BEET & TAHINI SOUP WITH PINE NUT ZA'ATAR SOUP
PREP TIME approx 1 hour
COOK TIME 30-40 minutes
This soup is not only impressive to serve but tastes absolutely sensational!
I am so excited by the recipes sourced from an inspiring lady called Andrea, who is an organic farmer from Oregan, USA - and have cooked this recipe the first time with Golden Beetroots and then Purple Beetroots. It is stunningly tasty and Za'atar is the most wonderful Middle Eastern spice which adds a delicious taste to a variety of dishes - have a look at her website - Dishing up the Dirt for further inspiration.
The image below are three beetroots just dug up from our vegetable garden ready to make another batch of
this delicious and most unusual soup recipe!
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
2 large leek, roughly chopped, white and light green parts only
1 large Spanish onion, diced
4-6 cloves of garlic minced
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1 heaping teaspoon ground cumin
small pinch of cayenne pepper
3 medium sized purple beets, scrubbed and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1¼ litres / 4-5 cups vegetable stock
1 cup full fat coconut milk (save the extra from the can to add to smoothies or your morning coffee!)
salt and pepper to taste
Minced parsley for serving
For the Tahini:
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 cup tahini
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice, you mare require more according to taste
2 Tablespoon olive oil
pinch of black pepper
4 Tablespoons water
Pine Nut Za’atar:
1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
3 Tablespoons za’atar
1. Heat the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leek and onion and cook until beginning to soften. About 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, coriander, cumin and cayenne pepper. Cook until fragrant, stirring often. About 3 minutes.
3. Stir in the beets and add the broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the beets are tender and cooked through. About 25 minutes.
4. Carefully puree the soup with an immersion blender (or in batches transfer the soup to a blender).
5. Stir in the coconut milk and season to taste with salt and pepper. Taste test and adjust seasonings if need be.
6. While soup cooks prepare the tahini sauce. Combine all the ingredients and whisk until smooth. This works best with an immersion blender. Taste test and adjust seasonings as need be.
7. Mix the toasted pine nuts with the za’atar in a shallow bowl.
8. Divide the soup among bowls. Drizzle with the tahini and top each bowl with a tablespoon of the pine nut mixture. Add minced parsley and enjoy! We served this with hot olive Ciabatta bread.
*Use this recipe as a guide.
*Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary.
*Always taste test as you go.