SHARE MY RECIPES
Fennel, Courgette & Watercress Soup
FENNEL, COURGETTE & WATERCRESS SOUP
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
This soup has a wonderful flavour and is quick and easy to prepare.
2-3 tbs olive oil
A generous knob of unsalted butter 1-2 oz
1 large Spanish onion, peeled and finely chopped
5-6 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 fennel bulb, washed and finely chopped
3 courgettes, ends discarded, then finely chopped
1 litre of boiling vegetable stock
Freshly ground black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
Swirl of houmous
Shavings of parmesan
Sprigs of watercress
AND THIS IS WHAT YOU DO.......
1. Take a large deep saucepan and heat the oil and butter.
2. Add the onion, garlic and fennel and cook through until softened, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
3. Add the fennel seeds and stir well.
4. Now add the sliced courgettes, put lid back to steam the vegetables for about five minutes.
5. Add 1 litre of water and a couple of vegetable stock cubes (or you can make your own stock) and simmer for about five to ten minutes.
6. Add most of the watercress, but keep a little aside for garnishing, and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
7. The soup is now ready to be either liquidised or you can do this with a hand held liquidiser.
8. Now is the time to adjust the seasoning with the salt and pepper.
9. When you are ready to serve the soup, garnish with any of the suggestions given at the end of the list of ingredients.
10. Serve with home made sundried tomato, olive and walnut rolls.