About the Recipe
This Fish Starter is a Guest Recipe from Lifting the Lid, A Life at Kinloch Lodge, Skye by Claire Macdonald.
This is one of many delicious recipes featured in the Daily Mail Saturday Magazine.
6 large eggs, hardboiled, shelled an d chopped
300ml (½pt) vegetable or chicken stock – or use a good substitute such as Marigold bouillon powder, made up with boiling water
4 leaves of gelatine soaked in cold water for 10 minutes, then drained of their cold water bath and dissolved in the hot chicken or vegetable stock
150ml (¼pt) double cream, whipped but not stiffly, or use crème fraîche instead
150ml (¼pt) mayonnaise, preferably homemade
1tsp anchovy essence
1tbsp Worcester sauce
1 tin anchovy fillets, drained and each cut in half lengthways
10 stoned black olives – I like Kalamata best – each cut in slivers
1. After you’ve placed the gelatine leaves in the hot stock (see ingredients), let it cool and gel, then add to the chopped hardboiled eggs in a mixing bowl.
2. Stir in the whipped cream (or crème fraîche), mayonnaise, anchovy essence and Worcester sauce.
3. Taste and add a small amount of salt if you think it is needed.
4. Season with black pepper and spoon and scrape into a serving bowl.
5. You can, if you prefer, put the mixture into individual small bowls, ramekins or dishes. Leave to set.
6. Then lay the slivers of anchovy fillet in lines across, then diagonally, to give diamond shapes. Put a piece or two of black olive in each of the diamond shapes.