Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: approx 40 minutes
This is the basic recipe for all risotto dishes, which can then be augmented by a variety of ingredients.
1.1 litres (2 pints) organic stock (chicken, fish or vegetable, as appropriate)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 knob of butter
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
4 or 5 sticks of celery, trimmed and finely chopped
400 g risotto rice
2 wineglasses of dry white vermouth (dry Martini or Noilly Prat) or dry white wine
freshly ground black pepper
70 g butter
115 g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
AND THIS IS WHAT YOU DO.......
1. Heat the oil and butter in a large wide pan and add the rice, stirring well and until the rice is completely coated.
2. Now add the onion, garlic and celery stirring well into the rice.
3. Now add the wine or Vermouth into the mixture stirring well.
4. Gradually add the stock, stirring often to prevent the bottom from sticking and the rice will take up to about 40 minutes to cook through.
5. If adding other ingredients, do this halfway through the cooking time.
6. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.