Tomato & Red Pepper Risotto
TOMATO (and RED PEPPER) RISOTTO
Serves 4 - 6
Preparation Time: 10 - 15 mins
Cooking time: approx 40 minutes
This is a very good risotto with or without the peppers. Instead of using tinned tomatoes, you can 8 - 10 roast vine tomatoes in olive oil with a splash of balsamic vinegar and season before you start cooking the risotto recipe.
Ingredients from Risotto Bianco as shown elow
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
Half a jar of sundried tomatoes
Small pack of sunblush tomatoes (semi dried)
3 tbs tomato puree
Half tsp sugar
And to combine with Red Peppers to create a Tomato and Red Pepper Risotto, add contents of 450g roasted red peppers in brine, drained and cut into strips.
AND THIS IS WHAT YOU DO.....
1. Cook the Risotto Bianco recipe as shown above.
2. When the risotto has cooked for about 20 minutes, add the tomatoes, sugar and red peppers.
3. Keep stirring to prevent the risotto from sticking on the bottom of the pan and keep adding more stock, as required until the rice is tender and ready to eat.
4. Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: approx 40 minutes
This is the basic recipe for all risotto dishes, which can then be augmented by a variety of ingredients.
1.1 litres (2 pints) organic stock (chicken, fish or vegetable, as appropriate)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 knob of butter
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
4 or 5 sticks of celery, trimmed and finely chopped
400 g risotto rice
2 wineglasses of dry white vermouth (dry Martini or Noilly Prat) or dry white wine
freshly ground black pepper
70 g butter
115 g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
AND THIS IS WHAT YOU DO.......
1. Heat the oil and butter in a large wide pan and add the rice, stirring well and until the rice is completely coated.
2. Now add the onion, garlic and celery stirring well into the rice.
3. Now add the wine or Vermouth into the mixture stirring well.
4. Gradually add the stock, stirring often to prevent the bottom from sticking and the rice will take up to about 40 minutes to cook through.
5. If adding other ingredients, do this halfway through the cooking time.
6. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.